Dental bone grafting is a surgical procedure that is used to replace missing or damaged bone in the jaw, usually to prepare the site for a dental implant.
Here are some things to know about dental bone grafting:
- Why is it needed? Dental bone grafting is needed when the jawbone has been damaged or has deteriorated due to periodontal disease, injury, or tooth loss. This can lead to a loss of bone density and height, which can make it difficult to support a dental implant or to preserve the natural teeth.
- How is it done? Dental bone grafting involves taking bone material from another part of the body, a donor, or a synthetic material, and grafting it onto the site where the bone is needed. The graft material is held in place with special screws or pins and allowed to heal and integrate with the existing bone over several months.
- Types of graft materials: The graft material used in dental bone grafting can come from a variety of sources, including the patient’s own bone (autograft), bone from another human donor (allograft), or a synthetic material (alloplast). Each type of material has its own advantages and disadvantages and the decision on which type to use depends on a variety of factors.
- Post-operative care: After the procedure, the patient will need to take special care to avoid putting too much pressure on the graft site and follow a strict oral hygiene regimen to prevent infection. The patient may also be prescribed antibiotics or pain medication to manage any discomfort.
- Success rate: Dental bone grafting has a high success rate and is considered a safe and effective way to restore bone density and height in the jaw. With proper care and maintenance, the graft can integrate with the existing bone and provide a stable foundation for dental implants or natural teeth.
Dental bone grafting is a common surgical procedure used to replace missing or damaged bone in the jaw. It can be done using a variety of graft materials and has a high success rate. With proper care and maintenance, dental bone grafting can provide a stable foundation for dental implants or natural teeth.
Make An Appointment
At Keene Dentistry and Implants, we are dedicated to helping you achieve healthy teeth that you can be proud of. If you’re looking for a dentist in Keene, NH, call us today for personalized and high-quality dental care that you can trust.
Monday – Thursday
8:00 — 5:00
Friday – Saturday
Call to ask any question